A lot of the time, Christians are not comfortable talking about wealth. When that’s the case, it’s time for a change of money mindset. One book of the Bible in particular— Proverbs— does not shy away from the topic at all. That’s why I wanted to share 20 Proverbs about wealth in this blog post– though, there are many more than that!
King Solomon wrote much of Proverbs. He prayed for wisdom, and God honored it. 1 Kings 4:29-30 (NKJV) puts it this way:
“And God gave Solomon wisdom and exceedingly great understanding, and largeness of heart like the sand on the seashore. Thus Solomon’s wisdom excelled the wisdom of all the men of the East and all the wisdom of Egypt.”
Not surprisingly, a key term throughout Proverbs is wisdom. The Hebrew word is khokmah, which has the nuance of skill. Khokmah is practical wisdom that helps us become more skillful in the art of godly living. I believe that God gives us wisdom when we ask for it, too. If you want wisdom about how to steward your finances, I encourage you to dive into the Proverbs and pray for it.
20 Proverbs About Wealth
- “Honor the Lord with your possessions, and with the firstfruits of all your increase; So your barns will be filled with plenty, and your vats will overflow with new wine.” Proverbs 3:9-10
- “Do not withhold good from those to whom it is due, when it is in the power of your hand to do so.” Proverbs 3:27
- “Go to the ant, you sluggard! Consider her ways and be wise, which, having no captain, Overseer, or ruler, provides her supplies in the summer, and gathers her food in the harvest,” Proverbs 6:6-8
- “Riches and honor are with me [wisdom], enduring riches and righteousness.” Proverbs 8:18
- “The generous soul will be made rich, and he who waters will also be watered himself.” Proverbs 11:25
- “He who tills his land will be satisfied with bread, but he who follows frivolity is devoid of understanding.” Proverbs 12:11
- Wealth gained by dishonesty will be diminished, but he who gathers by labor will increase.” Proverbs 13:11
- “A good man leaves an inheritance to his children’s children, but the wealth of the sinner is stored up for the righteous.” Proverbs 13:22
- “In all labor there is profit, but idle chatter leads only to poverty.” Proverbs 14:23
- “In the house of the righteous there is much treasure, but in the revenue of the wicked is trouble.” Proverbs 15:6
- “The plans of the diligent lead surely to plenty, but those of everyone who is hasty, surely to poverty.” Proverbs 21:5
- “A good name is to be chosen rather than great riches, loving favor rather than silver and gold.” Proverbs 22:1
- “By humility and the fear of the Lord are riches and honor and life.” Proverbs 22:4
- “He who oppresses the poor to increase his riches, and he who gives to the rich, will surely come to poverty.” Proverbs 22:16
- “Do not rob the poor because he is poor, nor oppress the afflicted at the gate; For the Lord will plead their cause, and plunder the soul of those who plunder them.” Proverbs 22:22-23
- “Do not be one of those who shakes hands in a pledge, one of those who is surety for debts; If you have nothing with which to pay, why should he take away your bed from under you?” Proverbs 22:26-27
- “Be diligent to know the state of your flocks, and attend to your herds; For riches are not forever, nor does a crown endure to all generations.” Proverbs 27:23-24
- “The rich man is wise in his own eyes, but the poor who has understanding searches him out.” Proverbs 28:11
- “He who gives to the poor will not lack, but he who hides his eyes will have many curses.” Proverbs 28:27
- “The leech has two daughters—
Give and Give!
There are three things that are never satisfied,
Four never say, “Enough!”:
The barren womb,
The earth that is not satisfied with water—
And the fire never says, “Enough!”
I hope you’ve gained something through these proverbs about wealth. If you want to know more about God’s purpose for wealth, I recommend checking out WealthBuilders University . There are dozens of courses taught by experts about how to build wealth for the kingdom!