Invest in Yourself
In my blog “Getting Started Wealth-Building” ,step number one was “Learn to Invest in Yourself.” It is important to understand that we get paid for value, not time. Because of this we need to build our value, and we become more valuable by investing in ourselves. In the early 1980’s, a simple phrase I heard Jim Rohn say was: “To have an above average income – you must become an above average person. Invest more in yourself than you do on your job and you will perform much better on your job.” Below are four especially relevant steps to investing in yourself.
- First of all, read something positive, inspirational 30 minutes everyday.
- Read 2 books a week. That is 1000 books in ten years. As a result of choosing quality books you will change your life.
- Listen to Instructional and Motivational Audio programs. Listen while driving. As a result you can turn your car in to a traveling personal development training program.
- Find a Mentor and learn to be a coachable learner. Listen to your mentor more than you talk, but always ask questions.
- Most of all, find the right people with whom to associate with. Remember this: “YOU ARE DAILY BECOMING THE AVERAGE OF THE 5 PEOPLE YOU ARE THE MOST CLOSELY ASSOCIATED WITH.”
- MOST PEOPLE EARN WITHIN 20% OF THEIR FRIENDS
- A poor person should take a rich person out to dinner and pay for the meal. Buy a six course meal and keep them talking.
- We have two ears and one mouth, seems like we need to listen rather than talk.
- Guard your mind and the influence that you allow in to it. Remember that belief comes through hearing, therefore, make sure you are listening to carefully selected audio, and people.
- In addition to the first 3 steps, look with sight AND insight.
- “SUCCESS LEAVES CLUES” !!!